Sunday, May 23, 2010

Details of our trip & Photo slideshow

Delhi: Is a thriving chaotic city as you can imagine. We really enjoyed our time there. Even in this big city you can see the distinct levels of rich and poor. We didn’t feel as comfortable as we did in other countries. Chris and I stood out like a sore thumb. Both of us are very light skinned (no tans for us!) and Chris is so tall and my hair is also light. We had over a dozen locals ask to have their photos with us throughout the trip. It was kind of flattering and fun at first, but the attention got old after a while. Oh to be famous!
Some of our favorite sites in Delhi were the Lodi Gardens, Humayun’s Tomb, and Qutub Minar.
I give more details in the photos below. We also had some very yummy, but expensive food in Delhi. I was afraid of the low, low standards of cleanliness around the city so we mostly ate in our nice hotels. This means we spent around $200 USD per day on food. In India?! You’ve got to be kidding, right? We did go to some nice restaurants, but the mark-up on the ingredients as got to be ridiculous. We weren’t happy, but willing to pay the obscene prices hoping that we were reducing our chance of getting ill. Well, that was a waste because within 3 weeks of returning to Hong Kong Chris and I were both on antibiotics and anti-parasite medication.



Agra - the home of the Taj Mahal is. It’s about 120 miles outside of Delhi. It took us almost 6 hours to get there because of all the crazy traffic. We left the hotel at 6:30 AM to try to beat the traffic, but still had a long trip. There are so many trucks, tractors, and other crazy obstacles. We drove through many small towns on our journey to Agra. If we were stopped in traffic or at a stoplight beggars of all ages would approach our car obviously knowing there were “rich” western tourist inside. Chris and I decided we’d opt for tinted windows next time! Our driver tried to help keep them away, but this was a difficult task. The strangest thing we saw were adult men with “pet” monkeys (monkeys on leashes) that would make the monkeys climb on the windows of the car to incise you to give them money. The poor monkeys did not look happy and we didn’t support this “profession”. Another very strange thing was at this same spot. There were two men dressed up as women standing next to the road. I thought the lady-boys were in Thailand? Maybe not? These guys needed some beauty tips! We were also offered water for sale by a few children. Chris saw them fill up clear and small plastic bags from a bucket and run the to the waiting vehicles for purchase. I couldn’t believe they tried to get us to buy their water. Don’t they know our biggest fear is Delhi Belly?!
The highlight of Agra was of course the Taj Mahal. The other main tourist attraction we saw was Agra Fort. It was very pretty as well. I did make the mistake of wearing shorts and a t-shirt to this fort. I asked the front desk at the hotel if I could wear shorts since it was a fort and not a mosque and because it was over 100 degrees outside. We showed up to the for t and literally everyone was staring at my legs. I immediately became very self-conscious. They weren’t even my shortest pair! We got about 8 photo request during the hour or so we spent there. Even the women were staring at my legs in shock. I don’t get it though. There is a type of sari that shows the woman’s back and/or abdomen. I think that is more sexual than legs! Anyway, I don’t recommend wearing shorts at all in India, even if your hotel says it’s OK.
We met our guide and driver at 5:30 am so we could see the sunrise on the Taj Mahal. Our guide was amazing and helped us be the first people on the grounds that morning. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I can hardly describe it. Tears literally almost started streaming down my face. The beauty and serenity are shocking and overwhelming. I felt embarrassed by my own reaction and hid behind my sunglasses for the next few moments. Chris and I got some fantastic photos as you’ll see in my slide show. Unfortunately, we hadn’t showered yet that day and we are both looking a little groggy! I’ll have to Photoshop in some better pictures of us. I got to sit on the bench in front of the Taj where many First Ladies have also sat. I don’t think I looked as good as Jackie-O. I don’t know how she got in with a sleeveless shirt!
They say India is an incredible place. Well, we agree with this statement. Unfortunately along with incredible sights, food, and friendly people there is also incredible poverty. Don’t get me wrong, it is a spectacular country to visit, but as most of you know they have the caste system, so you are basically born into your job and social class. I guess some cities in India are trying to get away from this way of life and promote people to strive beyond their social class. With the caste system we saw extreme poverty and extreme wealth all mixed together. The poverty was shockingly bad and the worst I had seen yet in Asia. There are people literally living in the medians of roads and on patches of grass on the side of the road with just tarps and blankets for homes. We were approached constantly by hawkers and beggars. It was very sad to see some of the children that were very young asking for money to buy food. I guess you can tour the slums now, after the popularity of the movie SlumDog Millionaire. We didn’t do this and I’m glad we didn’t. It was quite heartbreaking to see the children that suffer due to extreme poverty. Anyway, that’s enough of that. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to India, and would go back!

No comments: